Australian Guards sacked for over rape claims on Manus Island

THREE Australian security guards working at the Manus Island detention centre have been sacked over the alleged rape of a local woman.
A spokesperson for the Australian Immigration Department told the Australian Associated Press the three staff of Wilson Security had been “stood down”.
Wilson Security refused to comment on the matter, referring AAP to the Immigration Department.
“The three service provider staff were stood down and returned to Australia,” the department spokesperson said. The department promised to support and assist PNG authorities should “there be a case to answer in relation to this matter”.
It said the department had briefed senior representatives of the PNG police on the decision to remove the three workers from the island and they had agreed with the proposed action.
The alleged victim had made an official complaint to police on Wednesday morning and supplied some evidence.
Manus Island provincial police commander Alex N’Drasal said the removal of the three officers “had perverted the course of justice”.
The Australian Immigration Department rejected claims it has been involved in a cover-up over the issue.
“The implication that the Wilson staff were removed to avoid prosecution, or removed without consultation with relevant PNG authorities, is simply wrong,” it said.
But N’Drasal denied the department’s version of events and said it had not followed proper procedures.
Tags: , ,

Comments

Thank you for visiting this site. Please share this article by using the social media icons below. We also welcome your comments

No comments:

Leave a Reply