Fire kills four, mother survives home blaze in PNG

FOUR people were burnt to death on Monday night in Mt Hagen in Papua New Guinea after a fire gutted their home while they were asleep, the National reports.
Dad Raphael Wek, 37, daughter Evelyn, 8, son Moses, 4, and five-month-old Daniel died instantly. The incident happened around 11pm at Goldline outside Mt Hagen.
It is believed that the fire started from a candle and quickly engulfed the home.
Wek is from the Yamka-Pepka clan of Mt Hagen. Toddler Daniel was the son of Wek’s in-laws.
Locals said wife Regina and Daniel’s mother Pricilla had gone out to look for betel nuts at a home about 20 metres away.
Villagers tried to break into the home but were held back by the flames.
Local Charlie Peter said they could only watch helplessly.
“It is a shock and a great loss to see four lives lost in the fire,” he said.
“We tried to break down the walls but the fire was too strong.”
He said the funeral would be held at Tega village along the Highlands Highway towards Kagamuga airport.
Tags: , ,

Comments

Thank you for visiting this site. Please share this article by using the social media icons below. We also welcome your comments

No comments:

Leave a Reply